- Open Nautilus and navigate to the archive you would like to decompress.
- Right click on the file that has been compressed using zip or gzip. Select 'Open With Archive Manager'. (Note that a compressed file type such as a zip file is often referred to as an 'archive' within the Ubuntu Linux environment and technical communities.)
- A new window will open from which you can either browse the contents or extract them (see Figure 10).
Figure 10: Either browse or extract the archive from this window.
- Left click on the 'Extract' button to extract the contents.
- Navigate to the location to which you would like the files extracted using the navigation window (see Figure 11).
Figure 11: Navigate to where you would like the file extracted and then click 'Extract'.
- Left click the 'Extract' button on the bottom right of the window to complete the process.