Click in the link above if you are not automatically redirected in 10 seconds.
The BitCurator Environment is a Ubuntu-derived Linux distribution geared towards the needs of archivists and librarians. It includes a suite of open source digital forensics and data analysis tools to help collecting institutions process born-digital materials. BitCurator supports positive digital preservation outcomes using software (see our Tasks and Tools page) and practices adopted from the digital forensics community.
In the BitCurator Environment you can:
- Create forensic disk images: Disk images packaged with metadata about devices, file systems, and the creation process.
- Analyze files and file systems: View details on file system contents from a wide variety of file systems.
- Extract file system metadata: File system metadata is a critical link in the chain of custody and in records of provenance.
- Identify sensitive information: Locate private and sensitive information on digital media and prepare materials for access.
- Locate and remove duplicate files: Know what files to keep and what can be discarded.